I started my career in the Metropolitan Police Service in 1983.
I transferred to Cambridgeshire Constabulary in 1998 where I have lived with my family ever since – we live in Ely.
I gained significant experience in many years of policing, including frontline and neighborhood policing, public order, working in the Diplomatic Protection Group – guarding, among others, Margaret Thatcher – and as a detective in a variety of roles including homicide, covert policing and public protection.
Upon retirement in 2017, I became a senior official at the Association of Police and Crime Commissioners (APCC) in Westminster.
- It exposed me to the very heart of government, attending and influencing strategic meetings chaired by ministers of state – including the Serious Violence Taskforce, Strategic Economic Crime Board and ministerial round-table events.
- I led several All-Party Parliamentary Groups on policing and security.
- I successfully lobbied on many key issues – including securing £100m to combat serious violence and tougher laws for child sexual grooming.
- My experience at the APCC gave me in-depth knowledge of the role of the PCC, locally, regionally and nationally.
I have excellent relationships with Police and Crime Commissioners, particularly in neighboring counties, which will enable us to coordinate local policy development and collaboration.
- My priority will be to get the best deal for Cambridgeshire and Peterborough – and ensure our voice is heard nationally.
- I am a policeman at heart, not a career politician.
- I'm a candidate with a track record of honesty, integrity and with vision, who will get the job done by making sure your police force is delivering for you.
- If you elect me, I will hit the ground running.
- I have dedicated my life to protecting the public, keeping you and your families safe.
As your Police and Crime Commissioner I will do even more:
- I will champion victims – not invest in criminals.
- I will work hard to end the automatic release from prison of all dangerous criminals, including sex offenders.
- I will stop so called protestors from reaping havoc in our communities, while ensuring free speech is maintained.
I am very proud of our police officers, men and women who put themselves in danger to protect us – I will support them in keeping us all safe.
I understand how policing works at every level – but let me be clear, I am NOT seeking to be the chief constable: I will be working for you and with you, listening to you and ensuring the chief constable responds to YOUR needs.